2011 INTERIM STUDIO RULES: HEALTH & SAFETY RULES & GUIDELINES All persons wishing to work in the UrbanGlass studio must agree to abide by the UrbanGlass Health and Safety policy. Failure to do so may result in the loss of studio access privileges.
All Studio renters must have a credit card on file with UG.
First time studio users of UrbanGlass must complete and sign a Registration Form and Emergency Contact Sheet then receive written approval from the Director of Operations before being allowed to rent time in any area of the studio.
All persons working in the studio must have an UG staff member fill out a Studio Rental Receipt.
Anyone between the age of 12 and 14 must be accompanied by a parent / or legal guardian. Anyone between the age of 15 and 18 must have a parent sign the Registration Form and Emergency Contact Sheet to participate in studio activities.
Smoking is not allowed in any area of the UrbanGlass studio.
No pets are allowed in the UrbanGlass studio.
- The correct eye protection is required when working in any area of the studio, with glass or assisting others. After two requests to wear protective glasses, users will, on the third time, have their scheduled time or class participation terminated. Shade 2.0 or 2.5 is recommended for the hot shop.
- The named renter and/or teacher in any area of the studio is responsible for making sure their assistants and/or students wear the correct eye protection.
- Hearing protection is recommended for certain areas of the studio, e.g. the cold shop.
- Appropriate clothing should be worn at all times when working in any area of the studio, e.g. no flammable fabrics such as polyester or rayon in the hot shop.
- Appropriate footwear is required when working in any area of the studio; shoes must have closed toes and backs.
- If you have long hair you must tie it back when working in any area of the studio.
SAFETY & SECURITY
- In the event of a fire, please leave the building immediately through the nearest available exit and report to the technician at the designated safety zone outside the building. Please familiarize yourself with the posted maps.
- All accidents, no matter how minor, should be reported immediately to the Director of Operations or Studio Technician and the Accident Report Form completed.
- Any broken and/or defective equipment should be reported immediately to the Director of Operations.
- Do not leave valuables unattended. UrbanGlass is not responsible for theft or damage to personal articles or work left in the facility.
- For security reasons, do not unlock or prop open any door other than the main studio entrance.
- Due to New York City Fire Department Regulations, only 1-lb non-refillable propane tanks, which are recyclable, are allowed in the studio. Please see our Propane Recycling program description.
- No toxic chemicals are allowed in the studio. For clarification of toxic materials please see Director of Operations.
- Due consideration should be shown for individual welfare and for the welfare of others when working.
- Workspaces should be kept clean and tidy during working. On completion of projects or classes there is a mandatory clean up.
- Access to any area of the UrbanGlass studio will be denied to anyone under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Abusive or violent behavior will not be tolerated and UrbanGlass reserves the right to cancel the participation of any individual in any program including renters who are considered to be a danger or exhibit unacceptable behavior.
- You must clean your work area when you are finished. This applies to all areas used. There will be no materials, supplies, or work left out over night in any space other than your personal locker. Any work, materials, or supplies will be removed in the morning by the UrbanGlass staff.
- Cleaning must be completed during your time slot.
- Individual shelves, table tops and tops rental lockers should be kept clean and orderly.
- The UrbanGlass Director of Operations or his designated substitute must certify each individual (unless enrolled in a specific cold working class) on each piece of equipment in the cold shop prior to its use.
- Do not use any equipment you have not been certified on.
- The cold shop is noisy; hearing protection is recommended at all times.
It is strongly recommended that dust masks be worn when using certain cold working equipment or materials, e.g. pumice, cerium, and sandblasting.
When you are finished, you are responsible for cleaning the cold shop machines and mopping the floor around the equipment that you used as well as counter and table tops. The cold shop machines must be turned off 30 minutes prior to the studio closing to allow for a clean-up by renters.
FLAT GLASS / KILNFORMING AREA
- The wearing of suitable eye protection is a requirement at all times when cutting or working with glass.
- The wearing of dust masks is a requirement when undertaking mold making, shelf preparation, working with fine frit, powdered glass or enamels or glass painting.
- Do not dump anything that is not water soluble into any studio sink.
- Do not dump plaster or silica into any studio sink. Rinse all plaster silica into plaster tub next to sink.
- Do not place anything on top of the kilns.
- The job of modifying any kiln controller or computer is the responsibility of the UrbanGlass staff unless otherwise authorized in writing.
- The wearing of suitable eye protection is a requirement at all times when working with a torch. Didymium glasses are recommended. Prescription eyewear qualifies.
|UrbanGlass Studio rules 2011.doc||64 KB|